Biblical Reference: Jeremiah 33:14-16
Tune: Richard Storrs Willis, Church Chorals and Choir Studies, 1850 ("It Came Upon the Midnight Clear")
Text: Copyright © 2012 by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette. All rights reserved.
Email: email@example.com New Hymns: www.carolynshymns.com/
The Presbyterian Outlook magazine commissioned this hymn and sells it ($9.95) with the hymn text and music together as a downloadable bulletin insert. Your purchase helps support this excellent religious magazine.
- Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary, Year A, Volume 1 and Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary, Year B, Volume 1 and Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary, Year C, Volume 1, edited by David L. Bartlett and Barbara Brown Taylor, look at each lectionary passage from Advent through Transfiguration from the four perspectives (exegetical, theological, pastoral and homiletical) by great pastoral preachers, seminary professors of Bible and preaching.
- Daily Feast: Meditations from Feasting on the Word, Year B and Daily Feast: Meditations from Feasting on the Word, Year C, edited by Kathleen Long Bostrom and Elizabeth F. Caldwell, are wonderful, new daily devotionals that contain Scripture passages for the coming Sunday from the lectionary, excerpts from these very popular commentaries for reflection, a response, and a prayer. Additional material is provided for each Sunday.
- Feasting on the Word Worship Companion: Liturgies for Year C, Volume 1, Advent through Pentecost, edited by Kimberly Bracken Long, offers prayers for each part of Sunday worship (Opening Words/Call to Worship, Prayer of Confession/Assurance of Forgiveness, Prayer of the Day, Prayer for Illumination, Prayers of Intercession, Prayer of Dedication, Charge and Blessing) along with questions for reflection and household prayers for morning and evening. The book comes with a CD for easy use by worship planners.
- Something Is About To Happen: Sermons for Advent and Christmas by Thomas G. Long is a wonderful collection of sermons by one of today's best preachers on the Advent passages for Year B (also applicable to Year C). Long is currently professor of preaching at Chandler School of Theology after previously teaching at Princeton Theological Seminary.
- The Birth of the Messiah: A Commentary on the Infancy Narratives in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke by Raymond E. Brown is the classic study of the Christmas stories by a top Catholic biblical scholar who taught for many years at Union Seminary in New York.
- An Adult Christ at Christmas: Essays on the Three Biblical Christmas Stories — Matthew 2 and Luke 2 by Raymond E. Brown is a very readable book for people in the pews (and pastors in pulpits) filled with insights on the Christmas stories (sort of a Reader's Digest Condensed Version from this top biblical scholar's classic 753-page The Birth of the Messiah).
- Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas is a wonderful anthology of this special season's writings by Kathleen Norris, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Annie Dillard, John Donne, Meister Eckhart, Dorothy Day, T. S. Eliot, Gustavo Gutierrez, Eberhard Arnold, C. S. Lewis, Thomas Merton, Martin Luther, Henri Nouwen, Edith Stein, Thomas Aquinas, Dorotee Soelle, Philip Yancey and more.
- Advent and Christmas Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen: Daily Scripture and Prayers together with Nouwen's Own Words offers daily scripture, reflection by this wonderful writer on contemporary Christian spirituality, and suggested daily action.
- The People's New Testament Commentary by M. Eugene Boring and Fred B. Craddock is a wonderful single volume commentary that Carolyn used in teaching a course for commissioned lay pastors and is one she recommends to all pastors and lay people.