Biblical References: Luke 1:26-56, 2:1-20; Matthew 2:13-18, 12:46-50; John 19:25-27; Acts 1:12-14
Tune: John Zundel, 1870 ("Love Divine, All Loves Excelling")
Alternate tune: HYFRYDOL, Rowland Hugh Prichard, 1830 (or 1855?) ("Alleluia, Sing to Jesus")
Text: Copyright © 1999 by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette. All rights reserved.
Copied from Gifts of Love: New Hymns for Today's Worship by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette (Geneva Press, 2000).
Email: email@example.com New Hymns: www.carolynshymns.com/
Hymn Use Permission: Gifts of Love: New Hymns for Today's Worship by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette (Geneva Press, 2000) includes a permission note for those who own this book to use this hymn (along with the 44 other new hymns in the book) in their local church's worship services. People who do not own Gifts of Love are asked to contact Carolyn (firstname.lastname@example.org) for permission to use the hymn and to get a copy of the hymn formatted for worship bulletin use.
Consider buying these books for yourself, your church library and your public library, where they have the potential of touching the lives of people you might never meet.
- Blessed One: Protestant Perspectives on Mary edited by Beverly Roberts Gaventa and Cynthia L. Rigby
- Mary Through the Centuries: Her Place in the History of Culture by Jaroslav Pelikan is a wonderful church historian's thoughtful review of how Mary has been understood at different times and places.
- Mary in the New Testament Top Catholic and Protestant biblical scholars jointly look at every biblical passage related to Mary, explaining different interpretations of the passage and the most plausible understanding of it.
- Women in the New Testament: A Middle Eastern Cultural View (PDF file) by Kenneth E. Bailey (free online essay)
- Women's Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis by N. T. Wright (free online essay)
- The Women's Bible Commentary - expanded edition edited by Carol A. Newsom and Sharon H. Ringe
- The IVP Women's Bible Commentary by Catherine Clark Kroeger and Mary J. Evans
- The Women's Study Bible by Catherine Clark Kroeger and Mary J. Evans
- Women in Scripture: A Dictionary of Named and Unnamed Women in the Hebrew Bible, the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books, and the New Testament edited by Carol Meyers, Toni Craven and Ross Shepard Kraemer
- When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church and the Scandal of Their Subordination in the Rise of Christianity by Karen Jo Torjesen
- Slavery, Sabbath, War, and Women: Case Issues in Biblical Interpretation by Willard M. Swartley
- Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry by Stanley J. Grenz and Denise Muir Kjesbo