Writings by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette (besides hymns)
- "Why We Sing" (PDF file) by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette is the lead article in Christian Reflection (The journal of the Center for Christian Ethics at Baylor University) in a 2006 issue on "Singing Our Lives." This article is reprinted in Songs of Grace.
- A reflection on the hymn "In Haiti, There Is Anguish" is from the March/April 2010 issue of The Chorister, the journal of The Choristers Guild.
- "Shrinking Bills, Growing Membership" (PDF file) by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette is an article about creation-care ministries at Limestone Presbyterian Church in Horizons (Presbyterian Women's national magazine), November/December 2009.
- "A Journey Towards a Green Church" (PDF file) by Carolyn and Bruce Gillette is a longer article on creation-care in Call to Worship: Liturgy, Music, Preaching and the Arts (May 2009) Environment and Worship issue.
- Transforming Families (PDF file) is a 216th (2004) Presbyterian Church (USA) General Assembly report with the study/action guide (pages 51-78) by Carolyn and Bruce Gillette.
- "Faithfully Disciplining Our Children" (PDF file) by Carolyn and Bruce Gillette is an article using biblical/theological scholarship and many psychological studies to counter support for the spanking of children advocated by James Dobson and others while supporting more effective, non-violent approaches for disciplining children and nurturing them in faith. This article first appeared in Church & Society journal (volume 94, Number 3).
- Active Parenting Now for the Faith Community: A Biblical and Theological Guide is a revision by Carolyn and Bruce Gillette of Freda A. Gardner's original church guide to the very popular Active Parenting, a DVD-based parenting skills course that has been featured on PBS-TV, CNN-TV and The Oprah Winfrey Show.
- Pastors' Columns by Carolyn and Bruce Gillette on a wide variety of topics can be found on page 2 of the monthly newsletter (The Chronicle) of Limestone Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, Delaware.
Writings about Carolyn Winfrey Gillette's Hymns
- Noted writer Carolyn Winfrey Gillette pens new hymn for One Great Hour of Sharing: "You Give Us Hope This Easter Day" dedicated to Easter special offering
- Music to Our Ears: Songwriter Pens Hymn for The Humane Society in the United States Accomplished lyricist and Delaware pastor Carolyn Gillette writes hymn to celebrate animals
- Gillette pens "gift" for Living Waters for the World: New hymn arrives just in time for World Water Day (national Presbyterian News Service feature article, March 21, 2012)
- "Story Behind the Song: Hymn reveals what 'our words cannot express'" by Pam Griffin, The Destin Log (Destin, FL), September 10, 2010.
- "Engaging the immigrant experience in worship: Pastor produces a hymn to biblical refugees" by Philip E. Jenks
- "Smithsburg native pens book of hymns The Rev. Carolyn Winfrey Gillette is now a pastor serving a Presbyterian church near Wilmington, Del., and earlier this year published her second book of hymns. Gillette's hymns are now sung around the world" by Chris Copley, The Herald-Mail (Hagerstown, MD), November 28, 2009.
- "Wilmington pastor's hymn inspired by earthquake in Haiti has struck a chord" by Betsy Price, The News Journal (Wilmington, DE), January 16, 2010.
- "NCC's 'Christian Principles in an Election Year' Inspire New Hymn" by Carol Fouke-Mpoyo
Online Collections of Carolyn Winfrey Gillette's Hymns
- The United Methodist Church Worship Office has posted over seventy of Carolyn's hymn texts with music (thank you to Dean McIntyre).
- Church World Service has more than twenty of Carolyn's hymns related to hunger, poverty, justice and peace (thank you to Ronda Hughes).
- Presbyterian Peace Fellowship has many of Carolyn's peace-related hymns (thank you to Matt Black).
Other Helpful Web Sites for Carolyn's Hymns
- The Text This Week: Lectionary, Scripture Study and Worship Links and Resources (thank you to Jenee Woodard)
- The Presbyterian Outlook magazine has commissioned several hymns, published and posted many of Carolyn's hymns since early on in her hymn writing. (thank you to Jack Haberer)
- Presbyterian News Service often posts Carolyn's hymns related to disaster relief and national church celebrations. (thank you to Jerry Van Marter)
- Christian Reflection is the journal of The Center for Christian Ethics at Baylor University that has commissioned Carolyn to write several hymns. (thank you to Robert B. Kruschwitz)
- Presbyterian Voices for Justice is a progressive web site that has posted many of Carolyn's hymns over the years. (thank you to Doug King)
- ChurchandWorld - Presbyweb (subscription) is a helpful source for religious news from many differing viewpoints that has posted several of Carolyn's hymns over the years. (thank you to Hans Cornelder)
- Deacon Sil's Homiletic Resource Center (subscription) is a helpful web site for preachers by a Roman Catholic deacon.
- The Cyber Hymnal is a wonderful collection of nearly 8,000 Christian hymns.
- Hymnary.org is a hymn database project by the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship.
- Limestone Presbyterian Church is the community of God's people that Carolyn and Bruce have served with as co-pastors since 2004; several of her hymns are on the church web site.
Books by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette
Both of these books include copyright permission for a local church to use the hymns in the book as well as indices based on scriptural references, metrical tunes and topics.
- Songs of Grace: New Hymns for God and Neighbor by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette (Upper Room Books, 2009) 77 hymns with devotions
- Gifts of Love: New Hymns for Today's Worship by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette (Geneva Press, 2000) 45 hymns
Books with Carolyn's Hymns
- More Voices (United Church of Canada hymnal supplement) (Westminster/John Knox Press, 2009)
- Singing the New Testament (Calvin Institute of Christian Worship and Christian Reformed Church, Faith Alive Christian Resources, 2008)
- Voices Found: Women in the Church's Song (Episcopal Church Publishing, 2003)
- Sing the Faith: New Hymns for Presbyterians (Westminster/John Knox Press, 2003)
- Worship and Song (Abingdon Press, 2011)
- The Abingdon Creative Preaching Annual 2014 (Abingdon Press, 2013)
- Mission Trips That Matter: Embodied Faith for the Sake of the World by Don C. Richter (Upper Room Books, 2008) includes Carolyn's hymn for mission trips and is an excellent resource.
- History and Theology in the Book of Order: Blood on Every Page by William E. Chapman (Witherspoon Press, 1999) includes Carolyn's hymn, "Our God, We Are a Church Reformed."
- Gospel Portraits of Jesus: A Lenten Study (Thoughtful Christian, 2009) is a wonderful six-session study for adults by gifted Church Educator Donald Griggs on the names and titles of Jesus. Carolyn's hymn, "O Jesus, You Were Born to Be," was written to go with this study.
For Those Interested in Writing Hymns
- Finding Words For Worship: A Guide For Leaders by Ruth C. Duck (Westminster John Knox Press, 1995) is filled with insights and includes a specific chapter titled "Finding Words to Sing." Dr. Duck offered Carolyn encouraging words when Carolyn was beginning to write hymns.
- A Singing Faith by Jane Parker Huber (Westminster John Knox Press, 1987) includes a helpful essay "How Do You Write a Hymn?" She set the example for Carolyn by writing inspiring new words to beloved tunes.
- See also Jane Parker Huber's book Singing in Celebration: Hymns for Special Occasions (Westminster John Knox Press, 1996) with two reflections on "What is Different about Writing Hymns?" and "Some Words about Words."
Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary
by Sue Young (Scholastic Reference, 2006) is a very useful tool.
Favorite Books recommended by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette
- The Discipleship Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version Including Apocrypha (Westminster John Knox Press, 2008) provides three emphases in its helpful notes: a focus on discipleship that is based on the scholarship and inclusive language of the NRSV translation; a concentration on social justice — acts of Christian care and concern for all God's people and God's entire world; and a concentration on personal piety — Christian acts of personal response to Scripture.
- The Green Bible (HarperCollins, 2008) is for those who care about creation (for more details about this Bible and praise for it, see Carolyn's article, "A Journey Towards a Green Church").
- Poverty & Justice Bible (American Bible Society, 2009, Contemporary English Version) helps show the clear and numerous biblical teachings about helping the poor and working for justice.
- The People's New Testament Commentary by M. Eugene Boring and Fred B. Craddock (Westminster John Knox Press, 2004) is a wonderful single volume commentary that Carolyn used in teaching a course for commissioned lay pastors and is one she recommends to all pastors and lay people.
- Christian Doctrine by Shirley Guthrie (Westminster John Knox Press, 1994) was originally written for an adult Sunday School class and became a bestselling overview of the Christian beliefs. Carolyn had it as a college textbook; it was later revised and it has been used for adult classes in two churches where she has been a pastor.
- A Christian Primer: The Prayer, the Creed, the Commandments by Albert Curry Winn (Westminster John Knox Press, 1990) is a very readable book filled with new insights in the pillars of the faith: The Lord's Prayer, The Apostles' Creed, and The Ten Commandments. Carolyn has given this book to new members in her church.
- Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger: Moving from Affluence to Generosity by Ronald J. Sider (InterVarsity Press, 5th edition, 2005) is a challenging, inspiring classic on relating biblical teachings to global poverty.
- The Kingdom of God is a Party: God's Radical Plan for His Family by Tony Campolo (Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1992) is a funny, inspiring book about the joy and happiness of being part of God's Kingdom.